It is famously said that in a corporate world “Dress for the job you want, not the one you have”. It is a well-known fact that when you look at a person for the first time, you notice the way he/she is dressed, which is basically the first impression of any person.
In a corporate world, it is very important to dress in a proper and nice-looking manner due to several reasons, one of the biggest reasons to dress in a proper workplace attire is that it gives a visual image and gives this impression that the person is professional. Over the years there have been so many changes in the trends of clothing that people have forgotten what actually a proper workplace attire is?
Recently, scientists from Columbia University and Cal State Northridge examined how clothing may affect one’s thoughts. The results showed that wearing formal clothes can free people from concrete thinking while boosting their ability to think more practically.
Reasons to Dress for Success:
There are several reasons that why one should always dress in a nice-looking manner:
- It makes a Good Impression: A person’s first impression says a lot about them, it is very important to put a good impression on the person you are meeting for the first time, if you are dressed shabbily for an interview or a corporate meeting, it tends to put a bad impression and the people around you would consider you unprofessional and would never take you seriously.
- Boosts up One’s Confidence: When you are dressed attractively, it automatically boosts up your confidence which helps to make your day better and helps you perform well in your workplace.
- Promotes Self-Confidence: If you take the time, effort and pride into dressing sharp, you will undoubtedly give an image of self-respect and self-worth. People can see you and think completely positive of you. When people will see you in your clean, fitted clothing and they will consider you worthy of their time and company.
- Helps to Keep One Productive: It’s easy to feel comfortable wearing sports trousers and a t-shirt, however, once you are in your comfort zone you start feeling lazy. But when you are dressed formally, you look well, feel good and you’ll be more motivated to get things done and in turn be more productive.
- It Gives a Competitive Edge: Dressing to impress gives you a competitive edge. Not just for finding a job, it can also help you drum up a new business or help close on a potential sale. A strong first impression leaves a lasting impression. When your clothing well, it expresses that you are taking care of yourself, and now, you are ready to take care of your client.
How to Dress for Success:
One of the biggest questions these days is that How should one Dress for Success? The answer to this is that it is very important to have a powerful professional good selection wardrobe which takes you to the path of success. Some tips should be kept in mind while shopping for your professional wardrobe. Those are:
- Get Inspired: Periodic change is the picture-perfect time to hit the pause button and get inspired! Make the time to flip through magazines, head downtown, surf the web, and get inspired by the natural style reset that presents itself with the change of seasons.
- Choose your Colors: Color is one of the easiest ways to update one’s wardrobe and yet it’s so easy to get stuck. Go for seasonal color. Commit to a tight palette of newness. Just unique or dual new colors go a long way.
- Be Comfortable: It’s tempting to feel like you need to dress a certain way when you’re under pressure for a big meeting. Comfort breeds confidence. Wear somewhat in which you feel comfortable and will positively impact your ability to show up as your best self.
- Shop Intelligently: After taking inventory of your existing wardrobe, identify the gaps and shop with clear intent. This method will keep you from overspending and also confirm that you can style a lot of different looks.
Dressing attractively is one of the main components for making a good impression on your interviewer or boss. There are many reasons why one should dress in a captivating manner and also how one should do so in the right way. Most of the times, beyond having excellent skills and knowledge, an individual fails to make a good impression on his/her interviewer or boss because they are dressed shabbily or not attractively enough sweep them off their feet. This article gives you an idea as to how one can dress successfully to make a good first impression in the corporate world.